The Readable Project (RP) is an online book club specifically designed for young people with dyslexia. Each group has 6 young people who are of a similar age and enjoy stories centred on the same theme. It is facilitated by a qualified teacher who has been trained in how best to support young people with dyslexia.
The Readable Project introduces the young person, in a fun and sociable way, to the life-long pleasure that comes from reading. It also assists them to find out where and how to access stories in the format that best suits them (print/eBook/audio). In addition, time is spent discussing the story and investigating the meaning of words. This is a great way to make connections with other young people with dyslexia.
When is it running?
Each Readable Project group will meet for an hour once a week (over eight weeks for 5th/ 6th class & 1st/2nd years and over 6 weeks for those in 3rd/4th class). It will take place after school on either Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. The Readable Project is open to three age groups: 3rd & 4th class (primary), 5th & 6th class (primary) and 1st & 2nd year (second level).
The spring 2023 Readable Project Dates are:
5th/6th class & 1st/2nd year RP groups run for 8 weeks:
– Begins on either Tuesday 17, Wednesday 18 or Thursday 19 of January and run for 4 weeks up to the midterm.
– Breaks during midterm (14, 15, 16 of February).
– Continues for 4 weeks after the midterm.
3rd/4th class RP groups run for 6 weeks:
– Begins on either Tuesday 24, Wednesday 25 or Thursday 26 of January and runs for 3 weeks up to the midterm.
– Breaks during midterm (14, 15, 16 of February).
– Continues for 3 weeks after the midterm.
Books/Resources needed for the Readable Project
To participate in the Readable Project
- 3rd – 4th class: 2 groups (Crazy Critters & Cranium Crusherz) will need a subscription to EPIC. All other 3rd-4th class groups will have to borrow or buy the novel.
- 5th – 6th class: borrow or buy the novel
- 1st and 2nd year: will not need anything as they will be provided with the materials however subscription to Audible(1st month free subscription) would be beneficial.
Your Local Library:
- The novels used will most likely be available in both hard and audio format from your library. So we would encourage your young person to sign up to your library and download their BorrowBox App (this has a very wide variety of audio and eBooks). If your young person is not a library member yet or hasn’t downloaded BorrowBox please see How to Join the Library & Download BorrowBox.
- It might also be worthwhile asking your local library (or school) if they provide EPIC licenses to the public as they do with other licenses that support dyslexic learners e.g. TTRS.
What is the cost and subsidised places?
The Readable Project is run on a not-for-profit, cost recovery basis. The cost of participation in a six-week Readable Project is €75 and for eight-weeks is €100. This is paid online, in advance to secure the place.
In addition thanks to funding from the Tomar Trust we have some subsidised places available for those experiencing ongoing financial hardship. The subsidised fee is €37.50 for 6 weeks RP groups and €50 for the eight week RP groups.
Please only opt for the subsidy rate if your financial circumstances mean that your young person will not otherwise be able to attend. We may contact you to seek evidence of your financial circumstance if you opt for the subsidised fee.
Refund and cancellation policy
If you choose to cancel a place, you must do so at least one week in advance of the start date to get a refund. If you cancel a booking less than a week before the start date, no refund can be given. Any queries regarding payments or bookings must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
As the Readable Project is run on a not-for-profit, cost-recovery basis each group must have 6 participants in order to proceed. Any group with less than 6 participants will be cancelled. DAI will give one week’s notice if we have to cancel a group due to insufficient enrolment, and we will refund your fees.
How to sign your young person up for a Readable Project group
Below is the list of spring 2023 Readable Projects groups. Just follow the link to find out more about the day, time and novel/theme of each Readable Project group.
3rd and 4th Class (Primary)
Tuesdays at 4.30pm – GEORGE’S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE – starting Jan. 24
Tuesdays at 5.30pm – GEORGE’S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE – starting Jan. 24
Thursdays at 3.45pm – JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH – starting Jan. 26
Thursdays at 4:00pm – CRAZY CRITTERS CLUB (ANIMALS) – starting Jan. 26
Thursdays at 4:45pm – JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH – starting Jan. 26
Thursdays at 5:00pm – CRANIUM KRUSHERZ – starting Jan. 26
5th & 6th Class (Primary)
Tuesdays at 4pm – HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE- starting Jan. 17
Tuesdays at 4.45pm – WEIRDER THINGS – starting Jan. 17
Tuesdays at 5.45pm – PERCY JACKSON THE TITAN’S CURSE – starting Jan. 17
Wednesdays at 4.30pm – WONDER BY R.J. PALACIO – starting Jan. 18
Wednesdays at 5.30pm – THE WITCHES BY ROALD DAHL – starting Jan. 18
Wednesdays at 6.00pm – THE BOY AT THE BACK OF THE CLASS – starting Jan. 18
Thursdays at 4.45pm – FRIEND OR FOE BY BRIAN GALLAGHER – starting Jan. 19
Thursdays at 5.00pm – THE BOY AT THE BACK OF THE CLASS – starting Jan. 19
Thursdays at 5.45pm – THE HOBBIT – starting Jan. 19
1st Year (Second Level)
Tuesdays at 5pm – ENGLISH READING FOR THE JUNIOR CERT (1st years) – starting Jan. 17
Tuesdays at 6.15pm – ENGLISH READ FOR THE JUNIOR CERT (1st years) – starting Jan. 17
2nd Year (Second Level)
Thursdays at 5.00pm – ENGLISH READING FOR THE JUNIOR CERT (2nd years) – starting Jan. 19
If you have any queries about the Readable Project, please contact our Lead Facilitator, Eilis Daly, at email@example.com.